Quadra Island is truly one of the most spectacular destinations for sea kayaking in British Columbia. The waters and landscape we travel in are a paddler’s dream. In the summer months we enjoy gentle sea conditions and sunny weather. Kayaking allows us to travel in a way that is naturally interactive with the environment. We can’t imagine a more memorable way for you to immerse yourself in the rich life of this region. Our tours are about enjoying the experience as it unfolds and embracing what each moment has to offer. With you as our inspiration, we strive to deliver the best quality and most unforgettable trips we can.
Our tours explore the scenic islands and channels surrounding Quadra Island. Join us for a paddle out to the Breton Islands, and through the historic reaches of Open, Village, and Hyacinthe Bays.
Quadra Island Accommodations
You will feel particularly comfortable here… there’s something in the air over this place. It is a great home base for your holiday. There are accommodations for every kind of sleeping habit, from cabins to motel-type arrangements, to RV sites and camping. They also have the best docks around, with the most gourmet kayak launching pads on the island… and coincidentally where we send off our tours! We are a short two minute walk up the hill from Taku to our shop called the “Yak Shack”.
Phone: 250 285 3031
Quadra Island Harbour House
Susan is a wonderful host and her house is so cozy you might just wish for rain so you can sit by the window, overlooking Rebecca Spit. Her rooms are lovely and her breakfast will certainly be a highlight of your culinary delights on Quadra. Oh, did we mention she has a hot tub!?
Phone: 250 285 2556 or 1 800 435 2556
Chipperfield Hollow B&B
A charming bed and breakfast, located in ‘downtown’ Heriot Bay. Your hosts: Michael and Robin Lynch look forward to meeting you. Their extensive world travels give them an appreciation for the finer details of hospitality. They plan to make your stay welcoming, relaxing, and comfortable.
Phone: 250 285 2422
Luna Vista Cabin
This is a very cute cabin in a stunning location with some of the best views of the ocean and the mainland mountains. Built by really friendly folk, Doug and Gretchen Peters, long time Quadra residents.
Phone: 250 285 3529
Discovery Islands Lodge B&B and Kayak Hostel
Ralph, Lannie and family know how to create a very comfy nook, particularly for those heading onto the water. The main room and kitchen facility has a hot woodstove and large windows displaying a phenomenal view.
Phone: 250 285 2823
Heriot Bay Inn & Marina
This place has a long history, many stories, and always somebody there to tell them. This is a special place on this quadra island kayaks, one that is dear to the hearts of many locals. Go here for good times, live music, a fun gift shop and of course… a cool fresh one at the end of the paddle! They have hotel rooms for rent, private cabins as well as a campsite and RV parking on the water.
Phone: 250 285 3322
Heron Guest House Hostel and B&B
You will have fun with Linda here, she’s located right in Heriot Bay, at the entrance of Drew Harbour where the view will put you in a trance. There are many different options for sleeping available here from hostel type dorms, to a funky beach cabin to stylish main cabin rentals.
Phone: 250 285 3876
Tsa Kwa Luten Lodge & RV Park
This is a large and impressive First Nations run resort right on the south end of Quadra Island with clean and comfortable rooms looking south west onto the Vancouver Island mountain range and the Straight of Georgia. They are well known for their seafood menu and fantastic sunset views for dinner in their dining room. Even if you aren’t staying here it is worth a drive just to walk into the main “Great Room” built out of very large and impressive timbers. It’s quite spectacular.
Phone: 250 285 2042
We Wai Kai Campsite
People book a year in advance at this place because the camping is so scenic and spectacular here! Don’t worry, they’ll have a spot for you if you call in advance. It’s worth checking too, because to camp at Rebecca Spit is a must.
Whiskey Point Resort
This place has a hot tub and a pool. Open 24 hours and it’s located right off the ferry from Campbell River.
Phone: 250 285 2201
April Point Resort and Marina
Located on the west side of Quadra Island, April Point is a ‘sister’ resort to Painters Lodge, which is located on the Campbell River side of the Discovery Passage. There is a free water taxi that runs for guests between the two so you can avoid the BC Ferry.
Phone: 250 285 2222
Things to Do
There are many wonderful things to do while you are staying on Quadra Island. Of course we recommend a trip on the water paddling with Quadra Island Kayaks as an experience not to be missed. But there are many other fun places to explore while you are here. Here are just a few of our favourites!
- Go for a walk on Rebecca Spit Provincial Park to see amazing scenery and impressive piles of beautiful driftwood. A great spot to beachcomb. Watch the sunset light up the coastal mountains, take a swim in Drew Harbour (some of the warmest ocean water on Quadra), toss a frisbee in the large grassy field, take the lovely walk out to the end (nice and flat for all levels of walkers), grab an ice-cream at the Raving Raven. We could go on and on…that’s why it’s number one on this list. You certainly do have to enjoy some time at Rebecca Spit while you are here on Quadra Island!
- Take the drive up North to Village Bay Lakes and go for a freshwater lake swim. Ask us about canoe rentals and shuttles up to lakes.
- Go check out the Nuyumbalees Cultural Center. This is a lovely first nations museum located at the Cape Mudge village on the south end of the island. Sure to be educational and fun for the whole family. This is a great thing to do if it is too rainy or windy to kayak! Maybe add lunch at Tsa Kwa Luten Lodge after the museum… yum!
- Catch some live music at the Heriot Bay Inn. Sunday night jazz on the patio goes great with some local wine and a sunset lighting up the harbour. Friday nights are rockin´ at the pub. 5. Take in some of the enormous artistic talent on the island… potters, glassblowers, painters, sculptors, bike builders, blacksmiths, carpenters….Call ahead for studio tours! Most are more than happy to show you around their studios.
- Go mountain bike riding around Morte Lake and hop in for a swim when you reach the lake. For some biking that is a little more mellow, try out the Community Center trails. Good times for the whole family!!
- Take your pick on any one of the amazing hikes on the Quadra Island Hiking trails network. Trail Guides are $2 at most stores, and of course you can pick one up at the Yak Shack.
- Wild Waterways Adventures (WWA) is a unique carbon neutral Adventure Tourism company based off of Quadra Island in British Columbia, Canada. The Discovery Islands are immersed in one of the most unique and thriving ecosystems on the planet. Exploring with us you will deep dive into Mother Nature’s natural processes. WWA offers a diverse array of adventures that are nothing short of exhilarating, healing and rejuvenating. When booking with us you will explore vast populations of wildlife thriving in the infamous tidal rapids of the islands and fjords of the Coast Mountains. You will have the chance to immerse in Coastal Temperate Rainforests teeming with consciousness, where we learn about Earthing and the benefits of Forest Bathing. We will work with you to customize any private adventure we offer. WWA truly has something for everyone! When you choose WWA, rest assure you are supporting a conscious and eco-friendly business.